Autumn Background

Saturday, August 13, 2011

London (May)

Ahhhh, London. I absolutely LOVE this city. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but it puts a smile on my face (and Todd's too). Maybe it's the age and history or the properness of the whole thing. It certainly isn't the food, but the rest of it is divine.

So this whole trip came about because Todd came home and told me in April that he had to go on another long business trip and would be gone over my birthday and Mother's day, again. So I jokingly (but with a true wish, knowing it would never happen) said "Oh, well you should take me with you..... " And guess what?! He came home the next day and said that he could take me with him, if he traded his business class ticket in he could have 2 coach tickets. YEAH!!! But Oh, no I couldn't go. I would miss the last day of L's preschool, D's end of year fieldtrip, Jonah is little, camp preparations are going on..... and on went my list. After talking to my parents (who graciously agreed to come for 2 weeks, and a friend who told me that there will always be a last day of something, I decided to take the plunge and go. I LOVE to travel! Fast forward to London the last of our trip....


We celebrated my birthday in London. Todd surprised me with tickets to Mamma Mia! and dinner. We got addicted to going to shows! The next night we went to Million Dollar Quartet and the night after We Will Rock You! Mind you the man scored with ticket deals. Somehow he managed to call and randomly try discount names and they actually turned out to be real discounts!!


A view of our hotel from across the river Thames. We were super lucky and got to stay in this fab hotel (super expensive and beautiful). It was the old County Hall for London which is now a Marriott and other things.






I did my best to see how many London iconic items I could get in a photo at one time. Not too shabby I say.


I did a lot of walking. Here are some of the birds I became acquainted with on my jaunts through the city parks.







Okay, so I'm not a fan of Obama to say the least. It was however interesting to be in London and while being stuck outside Buckingham Palace (because I dawdled too long and then they cordoned off the streets so the President's motorcade could leave) see the US President on his state visit.



You can't really tell, but that black car in the front has Camilla in it.


Enjoyed watching the changing of the guard during my time at Buckingham. There is such ceremony in everything the royals do.



Not a sight you see everyday and one that brought pride of Country to my heart. I loved seeing our flag flying in London. It was an amazing sight to see the Mall lined with the American Flag and the Union Jack.



I am terrified of trying to figure out the subway in New York or the bus system other places, but I have confidence using the Underground. Who knew?


I loved my time in London. It was soooo relaxing. I slept in, went to the gym, ate a leisurely breakfast, walked around, ate lunch while reading my book in the park, took naps, went to shows, had dinners with Todd, walked some more with Todd at night, and generally enjoyed myself. Thanks for a fantastic trip Todd.

No comments:

Post a Comment